Membership in the National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) may be an ideal fit for your student! They can become a member through a local selection process that concludes with induction into the school’s National Junior Honor Society chapter.
Through exclusive resources, programs, and services, members have a unique opportunity to prepare for their next steps in life. Membership truly lays the groundwork for lifelong success.
Before applying, students should make sure that they meet the eligibility requirements below:
- Per national guidelines, at a minimum, students must have a cumulative GPA of 85, B, 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent standard of excellence.
- This involves voluntary contributions made by a student to the school or community, done without compensation. Our school will require participation in an NJHS Service Learning Project as well as 10 hours of community service per semester outside of school.
- Student leaders are those who are resourceful, good problem solvers, and idea contributors. Leadership experiences can be drawn from school or community activities while working with or for others.
- The student of good character is cooperative; demonstrates high standards of honesty and reliability; shows courtesy, concern, and respect for others; and generally maintains a clean disciplinary record.
- The student who demonstrates citizenship understands the importance of civic engagement; has a high regard for freedom and justice; respects democracy; respects the law for all citizens at the local, state, and federal levels; and demonstrates mature participation and responsibility in activities such as scouting, community organizations, or school clubs.
Students who accept membership and are inducted into the chapter should be aware of the time and commitment involved with this honor. For example, there will be chapter meetings. The chapter bylaws should articulate the yearly meeting schedule and member attendance obligations. Members also must participate in chapter and individual service projects to benefit the school and community. Contact the chapter adviser to obtain a full list of the obligations of membership for the school’s chapter.
Membership Applications are available starting Monday (11/18) and are due on Monday, December 16th. Please reach out to Ms. Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or a copy of the application.